Period of the event: mid–june -september
Age restrictions: from 7 years old
Duration: 14 hours
From its top there is a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean, Petropavlovsk and the volcanoes Vilyuchinsky, Gorely, Mutnovsky, and in good weather the snow-white cone of the volcano Opal is visible in the south; from the west rises the massive cone of the volcano Koryakskaya Sopka; from the north – the valley of the Nalycheva River and the volcanoes Zhupanovsky and Dzenzur.
Climbing the Avacha volcano does not require special training, but good physical fitness and endurance are necessary. On average, the ascent is 6-8 hours, the descent is 3-4 hours.
The ascent begins from a height of 900 m. and takes place along the western slope of the volcano and the ridge-like crest of an ancient stratovolcano. The remains of an ancient volcano "collar" around the young cone.
The trail goes through slag fields, crosses a deep crevice of a Dry river and goes to a volcanic ridge, then begins the ascent along the young cone of the volcano to the top. The steepness of the slope in the upper part reaches 30 °. After reaching the crater, you will be able to observe fumarole activity and frozen lava flows of the 1991 eruption).
Every year on the 3rd Friday of August, the official holiday of the Kamchatka Territory takes place on the volcano – Volcano Day with mass ascent.
The distance from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to the base is about 50 kilometers. Part of the way (approx. 30 km) passes along an asphalt road, then along the bed of a Dry river. In summer, it is possible to drive only on high-speed four-wheel drive vehicles (jeeps or passenger buses based on KAMAZ and URAL cars).
Tour program: 1 day
- 6:00 am group gathering;
- Moving by cross-country vehicles to the foot of the volcano (approx. 2 hours);
- Arrival. Briefing. Exit to the route;
- Ascent to the volcano.
- Lunch (dry ration) during the ascent;
- At the top, a tour of the crater and a snack;
- Descent from the top; Dinner (lunch boxes);
- Departure to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky;
Tour program: 2 days
Day1. In the afternoon, departure from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to the foot of the Avacha volcano. Arrival at the Avachinsky shelter (900 m.) above sea level. Setting up a tent camp (accommodation is also possible in tour shelters at the foot of the volcano), exploring the surroundings. Supper.
Day 2. Breakfast. Safety instruction. Ascent to the Avacha volcano (6-8 hours). Lunch (lunch - dry ration) on the slope of the volcano (2200 m.). Exit to the top. Inspection of the crater. Descent to the camp (3 hours). Arrival at the base camp. Supper. Departure to the city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.
The program of the 2-day route of the ascent includes a mandatory training trip to the Camel mountain, during which experienced guides will determine the physical abilities of each of the participants, teach basic skills of behavior in the mountains, give recommendations on clothes and shoes for climbing.
You must have with you:
- small assault backpack for trekking and climbing (for personal belongings)
- strong worn-out shoes or special tracking shoes (sneakers are undesirable)
- waterproof jacket with hood
- headdress (cap and hat)
- trekking and climbing gloves
- drinking container for trekking and climbing (plastic bottle, light flask)
- sunburn protection product
- mosquito repellent
- spare set of underwear and replacement items (during a two-day trip to the Avacha volcano)
- hygienic lipstick